What Is Bounce Rate?
Bounce rate is the percentage of visitors who leaves the website after viewing a single landing page and do not browse any other page of website.
How Bounce Rate Is Calculated In Google Analytics?
Google Analytics calculates bounce rate of particular website page as well as of a particular website.
Bounce Rate Of Particular Website Page- To calculate bounce rate of a particular website page this formula is used
total number of bounces on a webpage (In A given time Period) / total number of entrances on that webpage (in same time period) * 100
Bounce Rate Of Website- To calculate bounce rate of complete website this formula is used
Total number of bounces across all pages of website (In A given time Period)/ total number of entrances across all the website pages (in same time period) * 100
Lets take an example- Suppose a website has 3 pages Hompage, page 1 and page 2.
The bounce rate for homepage- 200 (Bounces)/ 500 (Enterances) *100= 40%
The bounce rate of page 1- 500 (Bounces)/ 700 (Enterances) *100= 71.43%
The Bounce rate of page 2- 1000 (Bounces)/1200 (Enterances) *100=83.33%
The Bounce Rate Of Website- 1800(Total bounces of all pages)/ 2400(Total Enterances) *100= 75%
Bounce rate helps webmasters and marketers to understand the traffic quality on the website. So now you know what bounce rate is and how it is measured by Google Analyics. Let’s proceed how to reduce bounce rate?
How To Reduce Bounce Rate?
1. Stop Targeting Marketing Channels With Low Value Traffic-
If your website is getting traffic that are not related to your products or services they will increase the bounce rate. Check for the channels in analytics and then either target those channels with right keywords or if they are not relevant then stop targeting those channels.
2. Satisfactory Landing Pages-
Website landing pages must satisfy visitors query. If a person wan to buy office nameplates in USA and you are just giving information about different types of office nameplates, so user will close the website without visiting any other page of website and bounce rate will increase.
3. Display Headings and Call To Action Buttons On The Landing Page-
When user visits a landing page, must get clear idea from the headings and sub headings what’s the page is all about.
4. Use Call To Action Button On Relevant Landing Page-
Suppose you are giving free SEO PDF in a banner ad, but user is taken to the homepage of website rather than going to the download location from where SEO PDF can be downloaded then user will close the website.
5. Things You Avoid On Landing Pages-
- Website is not responsive, so text and links overlaps each other in different devices with different resolutions.
- Poor website design and navigation.
- Too much text on website.
- Too much ads displayed within the text.
- No Spacing between lines and paragraphs, no heading and subheadings are used. Headings decide user read further or not.
- Audio and Video content plays of their own as the page loads. (Avoid it)
- Do not use popup ads on your website.
- Search functionality on website gives accurate result according to what user is looking for.
These are tips that can help you to reduce bounce rate, also you can also adjust bounce rate in Google Analytics, stay tuned with us to learn how to adjust bounce rate in Google Analytics?