A mind map is a visual way of representing ideas and concepts. It is a visual tool that helps structure information, helping you to better analyze, comprehend, synthesize, recall and generate new ideas. It is simply a technique for drawing information in diagrams, instead of writing it in sentences. It is recognized as an effective method to improve understanding and memory. It is an activity that is both analytical and artistic. It’s simple and fun.
Benefits of Mind Map
Enumerated below are the benefits of mind mapping for students.
- Allows students to comprehend, create new ideas and build connections.
- Make it easy to organize and ideas and concepts.
- Make it easy to communicate new ideas and thought processes.
- Allows students to easily recall information.
- Facilitate better understanding of relationships and connections between ideas and concepts.
- Enhance your learning experience by easily connecting ideas and making connections.
Benefits of mind mapping For a business:
- Map your departments.
- Map your vision.
- Map specific project or idea.
- Great for webinars, where you can show all the ingredients of an idea.
Uses of Mind Map
Mind map can be used for:
- Problem solving.
- Note taking.
- Studying and memorization.
- Researching and consolidating information.
- Organizinf information in an easy, visible way.
How to Mind Map
Mind map has five essential characteristics. These are:
- Main idea, subject or focus – This is the central image.
- Main themes – These are the “branches” that radiate from the central image.
- Key image or keyword – This radiates from the branches drawn or printed on its associated line.
- Topics of lesser importance or the “twigs”.
- The branches that form a connected nodal structure.
Mind mapping is simple and fun! Here are the steps on how to draw a mind map.
- Start in the middle of a blank page. Write or draw the idea you want to develop.
- Develop the related subtopics around the central topic. Connect each of them to the centre with a line.
- Repeat the same process for the subtopics, generating lower-level subtopics. Connect each of those to the corresponding subtopic.
Best Mind Mapping Tool
Mind mapping can also be done online. There are now mind mapping software that are free and can be used through iPhone, iPad and Android. Through online version, users are able to mind map at school, at home and at the office or even on the go. It was popularized in 1970s by a British psychologist named Tony Buzan. His own mind-mapping software program is called iMindMap.
Among the best mind mapping tools are listed below:
Mindjet a total suite of applications and tools designed to help you and the people you work with brainstorm, stay on top of projects, collaborate on tasks, and stay organized together. It is a complete project management and collaboration suite with an extremely powerful mind mapping and brainstorming tool.
- Individual plan of $15/mo per user.
- Enterprise plan of $30/mo per user.XMind for Windows, Mac, Linux
XMind is extremely flexible. It works great on any desktop OS, and makes it easy to organize your ideas and thoughts in a variety of different styles, diagrams, and designs. You can use either a simple mind maps or “fishbone” style flowcharts depending on your preference. You can also add images and icons to differentiate parts of a project or specific ideas, add links and multimedia to each item.
- XMind is completely free and open source.
- Premium plan of $79 one time for XMind Plus Plan.
- Premium plan of $99 one time for XMInd Pro Plan.
- Premium subscription to Pro and all of its updates for $79/yr.
You can use Coggle by logging into your Google account. To get started, double-click the “New Coggle,” button and rename it. Then, click on one of the plus signs on either side of the rectangle to add a thought branch.
- It’s absolutely free and simple to use mind mapping tool that’s easy to get started with.
- Automatically assigns a color to each branch which can be changed later by clicking on the branch to bring up a color wheel.
- Can change the shape of your mind map by clicking and holding to drag the branches around.
- Can download your Coggle creation either as a PDF or PNG file when you are finished with your brainstorming/mind-mapping session.
- Can also invite coworkers to collaborate on your mind map with you, and view past versions of it.
Freemind is a free. It’s flexible because of its consistent features and performance regardless of the operating system you use with it. It is a powerful mind mapping tool offering complex diagrams and tons of branches, graphics and icons to differentiate notes and connect them, and the option to embed links and multimedia in your mind maps for quick reference. It can also export your map as HTML/XHTML, PDF, Open Document, SVG, or PNG.
MindNode is an elegant mind mapping and brainstorming app for OS X and iOS. The iOS version is designed to work well on touch devices, specifically on iPad. It’s easy to drag branches around, add new nodes, and connect nodes, share documents with others. The Mac app is similar with the iOS version. It supports sharing your mind map with others and exporting as PDF and as a Freemind project.
- Can automatically hide branches that have nothing to do with the items you’re working on, embed images and screenshots onto nodes, create links on nodes.
- Automatically organize your branches for you if they get messy.
- Support linked mind maps.
- Premium plan of $20 for Mac app.
- Premium plan of $10 for the iPhone/iPad app.
Bubbl.us is a web app. You don’t have to download anything to use it. All you have to do is open the browser of your choice and click the “Start Brainstorming” button.
- handy tutorial that helps you along the way.
- help page to guide you.
- Free plan that gives you three mind maps and the ability to export them and share them with colleagues.
- Premium plan for unlimited mind maps, the ability to insert images and files, and priority support.
This was developed by Tony Buzan, the psychologist who popularized the brainstorming technique. It focuses on quick-draw branch editing. It also allows you to create vibrant, interesting maps to better help get those creative juices flowing.
- Premium plan of $80 for the home and student version.
- $245 for the Ultimate version.
Mapul is powered by Microsoft Silverlight.
- Lets you create mind maps in your browser.
- Can register for free account with your email address.
- Premium plan of $30 for six months.
- Have a hand- drawn aesthetics.
- Can save works in progress to your account, and export them as well.
- Can also insert images to your maps, and customize fonts and colors.