Evolution of different Google Algorithms like Panda, Penguin, Hummingbird, and Rankbrain has set parameters for business owners and marketers. You cannot just stuff keywords on a website page to get top search engine rankings. The defined parameters in the algorithms changed the way of using search engine optimization for online marketing.
From website design to backlinks (Whether Internal or External) you have to follow the parameters. With these parameters, On-Page SEO factors are also important if you want to see your website on top in search engine rankings. In this article, you will learn what is on-page optimization and important OnPage SEO success factors.
What Is On-Page Optimization?
On-Page optimization is the part of SEO that helps your website to improve website presence on different search engines. Meta tags, website speed, content etc. are the important techniques of On-Page. You can control these factors in the HTML code.
Let’s know in details about these On-Page Factors.
On-Page Ranking Factors
The first factor in the list of On-Page SEO is Title tag of a web page that is the most important factor for SEO and social media point of view. The title describes what the web page is all about, what type of content it contains?
The above sample shows how Title Tag looks.
You are thinking how it’s important for social media. Here are some points that show why title tags are important for SEO and Social Media.
1. The title of web page is displayed at the top of browser tab when you open the web page.When search engine displays result for specific keyword research, title and description with the website link are displayed in the search results. See below image it displays the result for search engine queries for link building.
2. When search engine displays result for specific keyword research, title and description with the website link are displayed in the search results. See below image it displays the result for search engine queries for link building.
3. When you are sharing the website link on social media websites, they use title tag as anchor text for the website link.
How to optimize title tag?
As you have read how important Title tag is? So you can put some more effort to choose the best title for a web page. Follow the below recommendations.
1. Insert Main Keyword At The Start – Add the main keyword to the start of the title tag, it will help to gain a better presence in search engine results.
2. Add Brand Name – Many webmasters and marketers try to cover keywords in the title, but I have seen issues when search result does not show results when you searched for the brand name. Add the brand name to the title tag to improve the search on the brand name. You can add the brand or website name at the end of the tag if it’s less popular. If user recognizes your brand you can also place it in the start. For new websites it’s good to place the keyword in the start and brand name at the end.
3. Compelling Title – You can choose words with the keyword that compels a user to click on your webpage when they see the title of the webpage in the search result.
4. Title Tag Length – Keep the length of title tag from 50-60 characters is the guideline given by Google for the title tag, but keeping it up to 55 characters will increase the chances of displaying the complete title in search results.
You can preview how your title will look in the search results using this title emulator tool given by Moz, to access the tool click here .
You can also add modifiers to main keywords to get top result, modifiers like “best”, “How to”, “2016”, “guide”, “check list” can help to improve search result for long tail keywords that includes main keyword.
Meta description is also displayed in search result with the title tag. Meta description gives a brief explanation of webpage content.
<meta name=”description” content=”Description is added here”>
Above sample shows how meta description tag looks?
Keep the length of meta description between 150 to 160 characters is the guideline specified by Google for meta description tag. Keep the length of description up to 155 characters will display the complete description in the search result.
Url stands for Uniform Resource Locator is a readable text for humans and help devices to communicate with servers. Also, crawlers can easily understand website structure and identify particular resources available on a website.
The length of Url should not be more than 2083 characters.
The optimal format for website Url is
Do not use underscores, spaces or other characters to separate keywords in Urls.
Check out these two urls
From example 1 User does not know where it points to and in example 2 user easily know where Url points
You will be clear with the following Urls-
This is the Homepage -https://www.officenameplates.com/
When you Click on Website Category ALL Sign Products, you will be taken to this url https://www.officenameplates.com/office-nameplate-sign-frame-products/
You can go to the further internal category by clicking on the drop down menu and see the website has clean URL structure. Crawlers can easily crawl from one Page to another and they know from the name what information is on that particular page.
Website content is one of an important On-Page factor, a website with bad content cannot perform well even if you are following other aspects of SEO. To write SEO friendly content you have to keep in mind
1. Content is user-friendly, it meets the expectations of the user.
2. Try to write in depth, cover more information that users are willing to read.
3. Content must provide the solution that users are looking for.
4. Cover the main keyword and long tail keywords inside the content.
5. Do not add thin content, try to write articles with word length from 1500 to 2000 words.
6. Add links to other post or pages in the content to make the internal linking of website stronger.
7. You can also give links to external trusted resources in the content.
8. Drop the main keyword in first 100 words of the content, this tactic also helps search engines to understand the content better.
9. Keep an eye on keyword density, do not try to stuff keywords in the content. You can also use synonyms in the body text. The way of your writing should look natural to the search engines
The best example of well-written content can be seen on Wikipedia pages, see the below image.
The above-mentioned points are completely covered in Wikipedia articles. View the full Wikipedia article here.
You can divide the content of a web page into small paragraphs with help of header tags and it helps the user to understand now what’s further they will read in the article. You can use H1, H2, H3 and H4 tags in the content.
H1 tag is used for the Blog post title if you are using a CMS like WordPress it automatically uses H1 tag for the post title. But in some themes, you have to insert the H1 tag in the coding part.
H2 tag is used for subheadings, insert the target keyword in the subheading. You can also H3 tags for further subheadings. These header tags help crawlers to differentiate between parts of content.
In place of simple paragraphs, you can make the article more interesting by adding images that are visually appealing and the user did not lose interest while reading.
Like the web page Title and description, you can add keywords in the image title and description. Also, add alt text in the images and do not just add the keyword. You can give a descriptive line including keyword in alt text, that’s best SEO practice.
Website speed is one of the important factors that can improve traffic on your website. If you site loading time is more you are losing traffic. Recent studies found that
A 1-second delay can reduce the conversion rate by 7%.
Slow speed can cause a negative impact on the customer, also put an impact on website performance by increasing bounce rate and reducing conversions.
You can use Pingdom speed test tool to see the current loading time of a webpage.
To get better explanation where the website needs improvement you can use the GTmetrix that clearly explains the different parts of improvement with the suggestions to improve those parts. These parts include leverage browser caching, HTTP request, server response time, redirects, image optimization etc.
Before using these tools clear the browser cache to get the accurate result.
As I told you in the content section placing links from other related posts also a great SEO practice. I have seen many websites still people think links from other websites will give them better presence. But they do not know internal linking also plays an important role to get better search engine presence.
Adding relative links to the content where people can learn more about that topic will be more effective.
For example, in the above sub-topic website speed, I can add a link that explains completely how to optimize website speed that includes an explanation of leverage browsing cache and other website speed factors. That will also make the internal linking of my website stronger.
Social Media Buttons
Social media buttons can make your content reach more people through sharing. Social media sharing has become an important part of SEO in the current trend. These buttons can help to get you content share on different social media channels where more and more interested people can visit your website to read the content.
So every time you write a new post or optimizing a new web page, you must follow the below
On-Page SEO Checklist
- The title and description of each post or web page should be unique.
- Remove the duplicate Metas and insert the Metas that completely describes the page.
- Do not use long or ugly URLs, Url must clearly describe where it points to.
- Use categories in website URLs, that help both user and search engine to understand the path.
- Try to write unique and longer content in which you can add images, videos, and infographics to increase the user interest.
- Make the better use of keywords in the content, divide the content into small paragraphs. Spread the keywords in body, header and image alt tags.
- Use both internal and external resource links to make your post a quality information resource for users
- Use social media sharing buttons to improve the traffic on your website.